Welcome! My guest today is Debra Cohen, who is president of Home Remedies of NY, Inc. and the Homeowner Referral Network. She prescreens home improvement contractors and has helped over 300 women launch successful homeowner referral networks of their own. She has been featured in several news and magazine publications. She is here to tell her story of how a squirrel led to a $4million business! Listen in for more!
Debra shares the following about her journey:
- She started her business with only $5000 after she became frustrated trying to fix up a 75-year old house and not being able to find a reliable home improvement contractor.
- A contractor found a pesky squirrel in her attic and Debra offered to promote his business in return for a commission. A partnership was born.
- Debra took the franchise model and began teaching people in neighboring communities how to run their own businesses.
- Her franchise is a great opportunity for stay at home moms, dads, and retired contractors.
- Debra prescreens the professionals in her network by checking for licenses, insurance, references, and a clean business record of 15-20 years or more.
- One of Debra’s newest ventures includes improvements and modifications for seniors who wish to “age in place.” They want to stay in their homes but need work done to be able to do that.
- Debra’s advice is, “Don’t try to do it yourself! Hire professionals to do things that save you time and money.”
- Debra discusses her favorite apps and hacks that save her time and money, how she keeps going, and what’s next for her business.
Links and Resources:
The Complete Guide to Owning and Operating a Successful Home Owner Referral Network-12th Edition, by Debra Cohen