Laura Roeder is the founder of Edgar, a social media automation tool designed to prevent social media content from going to waste by recycling the content stored in its library according to some parameters that you set up. Since 2009, Laura’s been teaching entrepreneurs how to harness the power of social media marketing and create their own fame. She was named one of the top 100 entrepreneurs under 35 in 2011, 2013 and 2014 and spoke at numerous industry conferences BlogWorld, The South by Southwest Interactive Conference, Real Estate Connect, The Social Communications Summit and Blogher. She has also spoken at the White House about the value of entrepreneurship.
- She learned about aspects of business while working for an agency as a graphic designer. She learned about marketing, client relations, and branding.
- She quit that job and started working for herself at the age of 22.
- She founded Edgar in 2014 and it’s the only company that she’s actively running now.
- She first started just doing websites and design work for local businesses.
- People kept telling her to teach about social media. People paid for that.
So she went into social media training as she realized training was way easier than making websites.
- She previously did productized consulting or information products.
- She realized that the best time to become an entrepreneur is while you’re young and you have no obligations because if you don’t succeed, you can just easily look for a job.
- She realized that very few people see what you post so it’s sensible to re-use the same content.
- Before Edgar, they were manually preparing spreadsheets full of content and were manually copy-pasting content. The manual system had a lot of limitations.
- Edgar was built to be software to do automatically what they used to do manually.
- They chose the name Edgar because it was easy to pronounce and remember and it was a well-loved name of an elderly family member.
- Edgar just took off so quickly that it quickly surpassed their training business. It was different than other tools where you have to keep refilling your queue. It’s a massive time saver.
- Laura’s company now employs 18 people from Canada and USA.
- By working from home, they are not just limited to one geographic area when they hire people.
- MeetEdgar costs only $49 a month for 10 social media accounts.