Welcome! Today’s featured broad is an expert in modern-day etiquette. She is Myka Meier, the creator of Beaumont Etiquette. A recent study showed that success in the workplace is 85% based on social skills. How you greet and treat other people makes all the difference! Join in to hear more from Myka!
Myka shares the following about her journey:
- Myka was living in London and working in marketing and communications. She wanted flexibility and happiness, but had no idea what kind of business she could start.
- Her “Aha moment” came from an idea from a former client who was going to meet the queen and needed etiquette advice.
- Myka realized her passion for etiquette was the answer, but thought: “How on earth am I going to start a business out of this?”
- She did research, found information, identified a target market and niche, and created a strategy and goals.
- Myka firmly believes there shouldn’t be a “Plan B.” Don’t have a “fallback mentality.”
- Myka’s advice for someone starting out in a new business is to seek counsel and don’t try to do it alone.
- Myka’s favorite resource was the NYS Small Business Development Center, which gave free, one-to-one guidance from retired experts in various fields.
- Myka took etiquette classes at the English Manor school in England, and thought, “I could bring this to the US.”
- One of her unique services is “mock-dating.”
- The most common social etiquette faux pas? Most involve cell phones out at dinner and not using eye contact and proper body language.
- “Etiquette is being thoughtful, kind, and respectful to everyone around you and treating everyone the way you want to be treated.”
- The most popular course is the finishing course called The Duchess Effect.
- Most of her clients are women of various ages, but she conducts classes for children ages 5 and up.
- Myka offers corporate and group training classes.
- Myka shares what she will start, stop, and continue doing in her business. She will stop saying yes to too many opportunities, start beginning her day earlier, and continue holding brainstorming sessions.
- Myka’s favorite hacks include Evernote and other organizational tools.
- Myka’s NEXT BIG THING is to finish developing her etiquette app.
Find Myka on Instagram and Twitter @mykameier!