Welcome! Today’s Broad is Emma Johnson, who is a single mom who saw the need for herself and others for an inspirational and informational community of professional single moms. In 2012, she launched her blog and website, which is the only one devoted to professional single moms. Women flocked to her site, and she knew she had found a niche. Professional single moms don’t always feel like they fit in, so they can turn to what Emma has created to find support and community.
Emma shares the following about her journey:
- Emma was raised by a professional single mom, and that experience has impacted who she is.
- Even before 2012, she felt drawn and connected to professional single moms and their needs.
- When Emma got divorced, she looked for resources for professional single moms but found nothing that spoke to her. She was inspired to start her blog and website.
- “If you aren’t bumping into cool women on the playground, at the PTA meetings, or at the office, then it’s very hard to get the support you need, and you end up feeling ostracized.”
- Emma began the Single Mom Society, which is a directory to connect single professional women who live in the same areas and have similar lifestyle interests.
- When Emma began her blog, she wrote personal stories about money, dating, relationships, and sex. Her writing became her therapy, art, and business because, “Authenticity resonates with others.”
- Emma is excited about her new video course that will allow her to better serve her audience. It’s called How NOT to be a Broke Single Mom and is full of Emma’s inspirational story and practical advice.
- Her career highlights have been the ability to “pull it all together” to be the primary breadwinner to support her two children and the ability to be personal and vulnerable in her blog.
- What keeps her going? “Dumber people have been more successful than me!”
- One of Emma’s favorite hacks is www.mint.com, which is a personal finance app.
- Emma is launching a podcast called Like a Mother with Emma Johnson. Look for it on iTunes!
Find Emma on Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook, too!